Local Counsel for Domesticating Out-of-State Subpoenas in California

In litigation across the United States, litigants often need to obtain information from Silicon Valley companies such as Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, Glassdoor, Automattic (Wordpress), and LinkedIn. Kronenberger Rosenfeld assists law firms throughout the country to serve subpoenas on companies throughout California, and to enforce those subpoenas as necessary.

Ready to get started?

Submit your case online

We can help you serve your out-of-state subpoenas in California.

If litigants in state court lawsuits filed outside of California desire to serve document subpoenas, or deposition subpoenas, on companies or individuals in California, the litigants must comply with California law.  The Uniform Interstate Depositions and Discovery Act was created in 2007 as a model statute, and since then it has been adopted by over thirty U.S. states. California adopted the statute in January 2010, and the California version of the model act is found at Cal. Civ. Proc. Code §2029.100, et seq., entitled the Interstate and International Depositions and Discovery Act. Under this California statute, out-of-state counsel engaged in state court litigation outside of California do not need to open up a case in any California court, or file anything with any California court; instead, the out-of-state counsel need only retain California counsel and provide their California counsel with a copy of a valid out of state subpoena. Cal. Civ. Proc. Code §2029.350. Thereafter, California counsel may issue a California subpoena merely by serving a California subpoena form, along with the out of state subpoena, on the California subpoena recipient.

Kronenberger Rosenfeld routinely serves as California counsel for out-of-state litigants, for the purpose of serving and enforcing state court subpoenas in California. In particular, our firm has served and, when needed, enforced subpoenas on Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, Glassdoor, Automattic (Wordpress), PayPal, LinkedIn, and many other technology companies in California. We have served hundreds if not thousands of subpoenas for out-of-state law firms. We can also act quickly with minimal expense to get your out-of-state subpoena served and enforced in California.

To discuss your need to serve a subpoena on a California company, call Kronenberger Rosenfeld at 415-955-1155, ext. 120, or submit your matter to us now using our online case submission form.

Need help serving Out-of-State Subpoenas in California?

We welcome you to submit your details using our online case submission form

Submit your case online


by giving us a call at


ext. 120 for new legal matters

The lastest news & resources

Discover more about our firm and stay on top of internet-related legal issues

FTC Advertising Law Compliance
FTC Advertising Guidelines Series #1 - If You…

Running afoul of Federal Trade Commission advertising guidelines can have significant negative consequences for a business. It’s not uncommon for FTC enforcement actions to run…

Read More

Law Firm Updates
BASF Executive Committee Appointment - Liana Chen

Liana W. Chen has been selected for the Executive Committee of The Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF) Barristers Litigation Section. The Section’s mission is…

Read More

FTC Advertising Law Compliance
Alert - Immediate Action Needed Under California’s New…

While 2018 was all about GDPR Compliance, 2019 will be the year of the California Consumer Privacy Act, or "CCPA." If you haven’t heard, the…

Read More

FTC Advertising Law Compliance
Recent Enforcement by California District Attorney’s Offices

Over twenty District Attorney’s Offices in California are joining together on key enforcement issues. These “task forces” have been sending letters to companies to collectively…

Read More